Saturday, June 16, 2012

Melodious Moments.

I tend to get stuck in musical ruts. My iPod is home to over 5000 songs, and yet I find myself constantly listening to the same handfuls at a time. It's an awful habit, but that's an issue for another day. The reason why I have this awful habit is because I just love downloading new music. Maybe I don't listen to it forever, or fall head over heels in love with the band... but there's a great sense of satisfaction in hearing the first few notes of a brand new song, or hearing a lyric that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. New songs just evoke a different kind of feeling, or maybe I'm just romanticizing it. Who knows? All I know is that I intend to bombard you with some beautiful new tunes to jam out to in this summer heat.

River City Extension
Holy mother of god, I think I'm in love with this band. This doesn't always happen when you troll around last.fm for music, but when it does you download every piece of music the artist has ever produced, hummed, or whistled. Their music is upbeat, catchy, toe-tapping, and hilarious. The perfect summer background if you're cruising around town, blasting the tunes with the windows down. It's really just fun stuff with amazing guitar riffs, and the subtle touches of brass.To summarize them, really, all I think I have to do is point out that one of their songs is called "Too Tired to Drink", and I think that does the trick nicely.

Alabama Shakes
Soulful, beautiful, and powerful. The best way I can possibly describe this band's style. Her voice reminds me of really old school soul and r&b, it's quite refreshing to hear. Every song just booms with emotion, I think the best way to ever listen to this band would be live. I think she would blow you right out of the room with her raw feeling. Definitely on my list of bands to track down a vinyl for! I can only imagine how smooth that would sound.

Dear and the Headlights
These guys are super upbeat, and totally have a summer vibe. Folk-pop-punk feeling, with a heavier/funkier bass line. The drums are solid, and definitely stand out above the tracks. Not my favourite of the lot, but that's because I'm trying to branch out from such "folksy" and "pop-punk" feeling stuff.

Little Joy
Another one of my favourites from this haul! They sound freakishly like the Strokes, his voice reminds me SO much of Julian Casablancas, but I could just quite possibly be losing my mind. Their bass is just dreamy (if you haven't noticed a trend yet, I adore funky bass lines), and their lyrics are pretty endearing. Quite refreshingly, they are also not just a one trick pony! Their track "Don't Watch me Dancing" slows down, becoming a lovely ballad much different than much of their lively jams.

The Vaccines
Almost every time I download new music, I end up with a British indie-rock band. Every. Time. I'm drawn to their guitar handiwork, catchy lyrics, and adorable accents. There were a couple of songs that wound up being just too gosh darn repetitive for me, but that's just a giant pet peeve of mine (along with horrendously long intros and outros in songs- what is WITH that?). This is the epitome of "movie soundtrack music" to me, the kind of music that I put on, and can imagine a party scene going on.. or a long roadtrip scene with funny clips spliced together. Maybe I'm crazy!

Forest City Lovers
Finally, a Canadian band! These lovely folks call their home Toronto, and have a wonderfully sweet sound to them. If you're a fan of Ingrid Michaelson, A Fine Frenzy, or anything along those lines- this band is for you. Her voice has a very ambient feel, but the music picks everything up with some pep, making for a very interesting sort of sound. Going to try to catch these kids if they ever make their way around here!

Yukon Blonde
Another Canadian band, this time from BC! I've been trying to put them into words, and I can't quite figure out how to describe them. Their guitar work is lovely, and the background harmonies create a very mellow vibe that is perfect for summer relaxing by the pool, or hanging out with a couple of good friends in the sun. Of all of the bands, this one was Boyfriend's top pick, so if you like Gorillaz or Hawksley Workman- you would probably enjoy this band quite a bit.

Of Monsters and Men
Something a little different than what I normally listen to. This band reminds me a lot of Florence and the Machine's newer stuff... psychedelic undertones and a very monotone, sweet sort of singer. I'm pretty sure that I've heard of this band somewhere before, so Lord knows I'm pretty sure that half the world has already heard of them. But this is what life is like when you don't listen to the radio.
--
I had put together a wonderful playlist of 33 songs to share with you guys, but then realized 8tracks only lets you put two songs per artist on a playlist.. and well, that sortof fell flat. Anyway, here's a narrowed down and edited version of that same list for you listening pleasure...


 


Got any songs that you think I would love? Anyone else out there making 8tracks playlists? Or maybe you're in a band that I should definitely hear?

Leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. I do the exact same thing! I always end up getting new music and it seriously will take me months (if not longer) to get around to listening to it because I am fixated on another band currently. Haha. It really is a bit of a problem, but hey there are worse problems we could have :)

    Also I am a huge fan of Alabama Shakes! They are pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete